Monday 8 February 2016

MAN IN THE MIRROR

I was driving home after the day's work. There was a bit of traffic jam. All of a sudden, a little boy of about 8 years old ran out holding a bottle of liquid wash and a foam and started washing my windscreen. I was too shocked to do anything, so I allowed him. When he finished, he came to beg me for money. I was moved to tears. I gave him some money and drove off. I couldn't get him off my mind. I was just wondering where his parents were and why he wasn't in school.

Here in Port Harcourt, people who can't afford to rent an apartment to live, due to high cost of living, they live in Batchers. Batchers are rooms built in groups with wood on an abandoned piece of land and leased to people. The state of these places are deplorable. Most environments are dirty and overcrowded. Most people can hardly afford a day's meal, not to talk of sending their children to school.

I know what's running through your mind now. You blame the government. Stop the blame game. We all anticipate the wind of CHANGE. We all expect the change to come. Dear friends, the change starts with you. Yes, YOU!

Have you done something for somebody today? Have you helped that friend of yours who needs it? Have you stretched out your hands to some one in kindness?

You can afford to eat comfortably and even waste most times. Have you spared a meal for the hungry ones? Your closet is filled with clothes, that you don't even get to wear most for months. Have you spared some to cover the shame of that sister or brother?

You work in a reputable company and have subordinates working under you. How do you treat them? You employed house help or a driver. Do you starve them of their wages because you feel you have their livelihood in your hands? You drive a car, how do you treat other road users?

For the CHANGE to manifest, you have to start with the Man in the Mirror. Tell him to change his ways. If you want the world to be a better place, take a good look at yourself and make a CHANGE.

Humbly submitted,
Monisola Tairu-Akeredolu
#MonnieWrites

No comments:

Post a Comment